I am on TMP 0.4.0.2 on FF 12.0 on Unbuntu 8.04 Linux.
The current rename feature is so buried (IMHO) that I was initially unable to find it. When it was pointed out to me (thank you), I discovered that it did not do what I was hoping that it would. I had previously been using TabRenamizer, however, TR is no longer being maintained and does not work properly on my installation of FF 12.0 (various flaky tab labeling/naming, such as "New Tab", "Connecting", missing favicon.ico icons; but sometimes works and sometimes not).
The tab renaming features I hope for are:
1) Place in Preferences to list domains/addresses which are to be renamed in the tab upon/during opening a tab/window -- and their corresponding new names (with some preloaded selectable defaults for renames).
2) Preferences/settings for tab renaming should be in the Preferences.
3) The current Rename Tab that is possible in the right click on a tab (if enabled) could still exist (probably with a different or more specific name) for one-off, one-session, one-tab renaming.
4) Renaming should be sticky in terms of surviving restarts of FF.
5) Renaming should apply to any tab/window that opens containing one of the listed domains, even if another such tab/window is already opened. This level of tab renaming is FF-program-wide, not just for one particular tab.
6) Listing domains/addresses (this may go beyond what TabRenamizer did) should be hierarchical as follows:
foo.com --> renames any page on foo.com
subdomain.foo.com --> renames only subdomain addresses, but all of them
foo.com/subdir --> renames only pages on foo.com of that subdir
foo.com/subdir/subsubdir --> renames only pages on foo.com of that subsubdir
foo.com/mypage.html -- renames only that page
.... and there are probably quite a few other cases.
Perhaps the syntax should be more like:
foo.com/* or just foo.com/
subdomain.foo.com/* or just subdomain.foo.com/
foo.com/subdir/* or just foo.com/subdir/
Regarding how TabRenamizer functioned, it can still be downloaded here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabrenamizer/
Thanks. I hope something can be done (I don't have any of the necessary skills) as I really miss this capability.