Tab Mix Plus

Official Home of TMP
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:46 pm 

I'm the developer of the LastTab extension and have a request.

First off, maybe it's known to the users of Tab Mix Plus, maybe not, but Tab Mix Plus combines the functionalities of multiple extensions not from original work on CPU's or oneman's part but by copying the code from other extensions. In my case as the developer of the LastTab extension, the feature of Tab Mix Plus that alters how control-tab works comes straight from my extension. Now since this is all open source software this is expected and comes with the territory.

If you look at the source for Tab Mix Plus you'll eventually see that I've been given credit for the work I did. As a request, however, I'd just like some kind of public recognition of the work I contributed to Tab Mix Plus. When I installed the latest version, 0.3.0.5, I looked at the "About Tab Mix Plus" dialog and looked at the contributors. I noticed a lot of names which I'm guessing are locale translators, but I didn't notice my name in the list. Since my code is, more or less, being used as is in Tab Mix Plus I am contributing to the functionality in it, even though I didn't voluntarily contribute.

I do like the fact that my work was considered desirable enough to include in Tab Mix Plus but it does kind of burn me that I'm not given public credit for it, especially since locale creators are; and no offense to them, but their translating work just doesn’t provide functionality in the same way that LastTab or any other extension does. End users don't often read the source code for the programs they use so a mention in the source code isn't on the same visibility level as a mention as contributor. I'd really like for all of the authors of the extensions you've combined to make Tab Mix Plus get a mention and not just me.

I just wanted to take the time to write this because a user of LastTab asked me if I contributed code to Tab Mix Plus. It just kind of amazed me that he wasn't even aware of the relationship between LastTab and Tab Mix Plus and then I started wondering if Tab Mix Plus users are even aware that this extension just aggregates the work of other extensions. From what I can tell most of the original work of Tab Mix Plus comes in packaging all the other extensions together as a cohesive whole.

So, in summary, please give the extension authors whose work you're using public credit for the work they've done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:39 am 
Admin

CPU i think he is absolutely right, do you have time to update the about.xul, if not i'll try to do it next week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:00 pm 
Speaking of this:

How can I get normal control-tab (left-to-right cycling) behavior back? No offense to the LastTab developer, but control-tabbing to "most recent" or whatever it's doing is so annoying that I disabled TabMix entirely.

Note, it's annoying to *me. Maybe some people love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:22 pm 
Admin

Tabmix Options > Events > Tab Features >
Ctrl-Tab navigates tabs in the most recently used order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:45 pm 
Admin

onemen wrote:
CPU i think he is absolutely right, do you have time to update the about.xul, if not i'll try to do it next week

he is, i am going to hopefully redesign the about box

do you think it should go under contributors or special thanks, or some other title?

i was thinking about
Code:

Created by:
Contributors:               Special Thanks to:

or something similar

i cant do it in these 2 weeks since i am about to graduate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:46 pm 
Admin

we can add something like :
Code:
Tabmix Plus uses code and ideas from other extensions and we want to special Thanks to  this developers....

********         for       *******    extension

i think some extension add tabs to the about.xul..... we can do the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:13 pm 
Admin

i didn't think about tabs but its a good idea

do you think we should localize everything though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:40 am 
Quote:
Now since this is all open source software this is expected and comes with the territory.

No, Tab Mix Plus is not open source software so you should not expect this. In fact, since LastTab is licensed under MPL/GPL, CPU is committing a crime by distributing Tab Mix Plus without your permission. Including your name in a more visible spot would not make any difference.

If he wants to stop being a criminal he can either get explicit permission from you (and everyone else in your situation), release a new version with your code (and code from everyone else in your situation) removed and remove the old versions, release Tab Mix Plus under GPL or MPL or stop distributing Tab Mix Plus altogether.